Welcome to Food Week June 5 – 11, 2023. The smoky, the watery and the gassy. And muchly cool stuff on consumer loyalty to retailers. Texas (the anti-California) labelling laws, taurine, the return of Tang, day drinking and much, much more. Enjoy.
- No interest rate hike in June as Fed pauses.
- Canada’s worst ever fires cause a haze over much of the US. The weather in Nova Scotia is not just causing fire and smoke, it has basically destroyed a tears worth of tree fruit production.
- Are shrimp a leading indicator of economic health?
RETAIL AND CONSUMER
- Fascinating report shows consumers are more loyal to retailers than to brands. I guess Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods and the Brits had it right all along. Or did they create that loyalty?
- Texas passes new labelling laws for alt-proteins and substitutes. Perhaps the state has enough purchasing power – like California – to force manufacturers to change how they label their products generally.
- Amazon has not yet figured out the formula for grocery, cutting back on plans for Fresh stores.
- The entirety of Mississippi is a food desert.
- The White House keeps its powder dry on grocery inflation. Relatedly, beef prices are high but US producers elected to reduce production by 2%. Hmm…
RESTAURANTS AND FOODSERVICE
- Amazon Prime membership means free Grub Hub delivery.
- The golden age of tipping is apparently over.
- But the age of the pickle pizza has just begun.
- A noodle shop takes a stand against carry-out.
- Cracker Barrel has fallen. More nonsense over diversity and tolerance at restaurant chains.
FOOD SUPPLY CHAIN
- The Russian explosion of a dam(s) in Ukraine will have profound effects on the world food supply.
- Pork industry not done with its challenges regarding California’s Prop 12 on humane conditions for animals. Now it wants Congress to intervene.
- Pesticide coated seeds likely a threat to the environment.
- Labor disputes in California beginning to cause container back ups again
FOOD WEEK JUNE 5 LAGNIAPPE
- Vegan men fart seven times more often than non-vegans. I’m sorry. It’s just a fact.
- Binge eating is the most common and least understood eating disorder. Maybe looking at pictures of food over and over again – about 30 times – can help you achieve satiety.
- Day drinking is different. Here’s how. Also, Tang – yes that Tang – based drinks are all the rage this summer. The Original Orange Julius used a raw egg in the recipe. If you do, make sure it is pasteurized!
- The amino acid taurine may increase health and longevity. Problem is scientist can’t agree on how much or the right way to ge it from your diet
- A listicle on the best bourbons.