Welcome to Food Week August 14 – 20, 2023. Just a lot. Chick Fil-A and Aldi are winning. Avocados, hydration and regenerative agriculture remain hot. People in the past consumed Deviled Ham pancakes and, in the future, Eggo flavored liquor and I don’t know why. Learn about throwing your pizza dough and the difference between a CAO and a CAFO. And yes Virginia, there is such a thing as a two day hangover. Enjoy.
- A bad week in investment markets as fed rates take their toll.
- The horror continues to unfold from Maui flash fire. Fire risk now termed ubiquitous for almost everyone as climate shifts.
- A hurricane hits the other side of the US.
RETAIL AND CONSUMER
- This is surprising. Aldi to acquire Winn Dixie stores. The discount grocer has always grown organically. This not only grows the company significantly, it helps them enter new markets.
- The Liquid IV approach to hydration continues to grow.
- The Eggo Brunch in a Jar liquor. Because I ‘m sure you were asking for it.
- Trader Joe’s says it will continue to check out customers while claiming its employees don’t check out customers.
- I ‘wood’ eat the Nestle’s chocolate chip cookies but they are too woody.
RESTAURANTS AND FOODSERVICE
- Cows have gelatin and marshmallows have gelatin so ice cream with marshmallows have gelatin and so Baskin Robbins has marshmallow ice cream and some Hindus are upset.
- Chick Fil-A has the highest per store sales among fast food restaurants.
- Shake Shack interviewing for a CAO – Chief Avocado Officer
- Interested in a 3 day festival with Michelin chefs and rock stars? It’s $6750. Still interested?
- It’s a bad sign when you don’t pay your workers. It must be really bad when your distributor sues you. But Boston Market has managed the feat.
FOOD SUPPLY CHAIN
- The fight against CAFOs turns to water pollution.
- Legislators designing policies and incentives for regenerative agriculture And chickens are uniquely valuable in regenerative agriculture schemes.
- Widespread food shortage in Nigeria.
- Using micro-chips to ensure authenticity of parmesan.
- A record volume of avocados sold to US by Mexico.
- Lionfish are a problem in the Gulf. But we can eat our way out of it.
FOOD WEEK AUGUST 14 LAGNIAPPE
- People with severe food allergies should carry epinephrine at all times. However there’s good news regarding peanut allergies, with a cancer drug showing promise as a treatment,
- The paper of record takes on a serious issue for a change: Is the two day hangover a real things (yes).
- Ozempic and Wegovy threaten the future of a lot of companies marketing weight loss.