Welcome to Food Week December 5. Forkpitch always gives you good information but this week it is especially actionable. We can help you detect shrinkflation. You can learn how to get a .50 double cheeseburger. Learn how to make tamales. Serve desserts cocktails at your party and get away with bringing cheap wine to someone else’s. Enjoy
- Welcome to the Tripledemic.
- Investment professionals bullish about next years growth.
- 2 underdogs – Morocco and Croatia- make the the semis in the World Cup.
RETAIL AND CONSUMER
- PepsiCo trimming organization at the top.
- Documents revealed that show that the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics is dominated by people with ties to the largest food companies. Not the first time this has happened.
- 83% of consumers have changed their behavior because of inflation. Here’s the shrinkflation expert to tell you what to look for.
- Consumers looking for more specificity in health claims, less hogwash.
RESTAURANTS AND FOODSERVICE
- McDonalds offers a $.50 double cheeseburger promotion, but on app only. Very smart.
- Disrupting the market. Uber Eats has to pay $10 million for listing restaurants with whom it didn’t have an agreement.
- If pineapple on pizza makes you mad, this will enrage you. Domino’s in Germany introduces jackfruit pizza
- Just when you thought NFTs were dead, Starbucks jumps in with a promo/collectible/coupon/(?) thing.
FOOD SUPPLY CHAIN
- The world’s largest cultivated meat plant opens in North Carolina.
- Farmers are angry at policy makers all over the globe. But agriculture generates 31% of all greenhouse gasses.
- More problems for England: empty greenhouses because of producer uncertainty regarding tariffs, imports, labor and energy.
- Bee free honey maker has raised almost $10 million in investment.
- Washington had a bad year for apples.
FOOD WEEK DECEMBER 5 LAGNIAPPE
- Repopulating the Hudson with oysters.
- It’s tamale party season. Make your own!
And, for holiday drinks.
- Bringing cheap wine to a party
- The story of how a hybrid yeast led the the creation of lager beers. And here’s the best 25 breweries in the US
- Some Dessert cocktails.