- Really low mortgage rates, really high unemployment.
- 51 years ago, we sent a man to the moon. A trip to the moon sounds nice right about now.
Retail and Consumer
- The wave of retailers requiring masks continues. Marketing-wise, the next logical step is to turn necessity into virtue.
- The largest urban vertical farming facility opening in Houston and bringing produce close to the consumer.
- 55% of growth in food CPG came from products marketed as sustainable. They also commanded a 39% premium.
- Really interesting article on on-line SNAP. COVID sped implementation but only WalMart and Amazon are authorized.
Restaurants and Foodservice
- A list of restaurant chains filing for bankruptcy.
- Chipotle’s clientele ignored sequential outbreaks from food-borne illness. What’s a little COVID? (Sorry – WSJ subscription only)
- Umami set the science of taste on it’s ear. Now is it Kokumi’s turn?
FOOD SUPPLY BONUS:
USDA Report on the continuing problems in Meat Processing Plants, including fire at huge Tyson plant