Set a record for COVID cases in a single day, another 1.5 million on unemployment, the stock market cratered. Sigh.
Retail and Consumer:
- Fresh produce continues to show double digit growth. Turns out the way to get Americans to eat their veggies was to force them to stay home.
- From Foodondemandnews.com. The growth of online delivery and pickup continues to accelerate
Restaurants and Foodservice:
- McDonald’s re-considering all day breakfast.
- Outdoor dining is great for diners, not so much operators.
- Employment at restaurants has not rebounded even as they re-open. It’s uneven and varies by sector and geography. But some of the issues are:
- Fears by workers about their safety
- Restaurants are slow to reinstate dine-in and are slow to re-staff.
- Temporary unemployment pays better than the wages that workers were making in the restaurants.
- PPP loans have arcan rules which slows re-hiring